HOME

Saturday 12 April 2014

IN CONVERSATION WITH SHARON FERRARI - WOMAN BEHIND A NEW UNIQUE JEWELLERY BRAND-GEMINERA


Sharon was dreaming about starting her own jewellery business and guess what..she made it happen and she achieved the success! I have decided to find out a little bit more about her journey and what helped her to make her dream come true.
Tell me a little bit about your background… How was your journey to starting Geminera?
Starting my own jewellery brand has been something that I have always dreamed of doing. I have a real passion for beautiful jewellery and always have done, which is why I was so excited to start Geminera.
Where do you look for inspiration when you start buying a new collection?
I always keep a close eye on the catwalk, matched with what my market and customer are interested in. I regularly look through online magazines and blogs which I feel are relevant to who I’m trying to access in this industry.
What's the most rewarding aspect of your job?
I love hearing positive feedback from the pieces that I buy. I hand pick each stone so it’s important to me to know that  is appreciated and the pieces are enjoyed.


What has been your biggest challenge and success so far?
Quite simply, the biggest challenge has been to take that leap of faith to start this business, and the biggest success I have had so far, has been the launch 
Where do you find strength and motivation to overcome any obstacles that you come across? 
Starting my own jewellery business is something that I have always had ambition to do. Motivation comes from knowing that you can learn from your mistakes and move forward with a positive attitude.
What success means to you?
Happiness. If I’m  happy, I consider myself successful

What is your creative process like?
I take inspiration from those that I admire, trust and look up to. When I’m on my buying trips through India, it’s difficult not to be creative and inspired by one of the most beautiful and inspirational countries in the world.
What does a typical day look like for you?
It’s usually out of bed by 6.30am, breakfast comprises of lots of tea! I check my emails and print off orders which have come through overnight; I then ensure the item/s are checked and packaged in one of our beautiful wooden lacquered boxes, the posted out to the buyer.
As India are about 5 ½ hours behind the UK, I need to discuss any new ideas/queries as early in the morning as possible. I try to end the day at 5.30pm to allow me to spend time with loved ones, relax and have fun!
Which other jewellery designers have inspired you?
I own pieces from all sides of the jewellery industry spectrum. By that I mean I am lucky enough to own a piece from Cartier, however I also love brands such as Mawi, Monirca Vinader and Alex Monroe

Who would you say your collection is designed for?
I couldn’t necessarily pin point a specific type of woman (or man!) however I would like to feel that the pieces are bought by people who like to feel unique, special and comfortable with who they are. My pieces are not for mass market, they’re one of a kind as is my customer.
If you could only wear one piece of jewellery for the rest of your life, what would it be?
My engagement ring
What is your most cherished wardrobe staple?
I have the most wonderful little black dress from Marni which has been in my wardrobe longer than I can remember. As they say, every woman should have the perfect LBD!
What are your hopes for the future and for the Geminera brand?
The biggest plan I have for Geminera in 2014 is to expand the collections exponentially. I dipped my toe in the water of buying the pieces in 2013, and the reaction to the brand has been so wonderful that it has given me the confidence to believe in what my customers like. I’ll also be looking at stocking independent jewellery designers from the UK which will be very exciting.

What piece of advice would you give to aspiring designers/what is your recipe of success?

The biggest advice I could give to aspiring entrepreneurs/designers/buyers, is to have the confidence that you can launch a successful business. It takes a lot to break off and take the step, but you have to have faith in yourself first and foremost. You might surprise yourself

No comments:

Post a Comment